Beauty certainly has come a long way and trends over time have come and gone and come again. Hopefully people do not start painting their skin white again or start wearing powdered wigs! They say that trends are cyclical ya’ know. 😉
A few fun facts:
- The history of colonizing America spans from 1492 – 1763.
- The first world map showing New World “America” was produced in 1507.
- The Roanoke Colony was established on Roanoke Island, and is later referred to as the “Lost” Colony due to its disappearance.
- The American Revolutionary War (1775–1783) gained the American colonists their freedom and Independence Day is celebrated each year on the 4th of July.
The evolution of make-up was an interesting (and often times lethal) journey for our ancestors. Some of the more notorious methods and products of the times included:
- White lead paint to cover the skin and mercury sulfide for rouge coloring;
- drawing one’s blood to achieve a faint color;
- ingesting arsenic to achieve rosy cheeks; and
- dilating pupils pupils with belladonna.
To add insult to injury, if a bride-to-be in England in 1770 managed to survive her beauty regimen of choice, her marriage could be annulled due to her fiancée being tricked into thinking she was more beautiful than she naturally was (apparently padded bras had not yet been invented).
So this holiday, choose your make-up safely and wisely and let your beauty shine; God Bless America!